Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum polygonum is offline

Default OT-ish B&Q automated checkout

On 16/04/2013 00:04, The Other Mike wrote:
I dread ever visiting Sainsbury's, besides the rank veg (mainly mushrooms and
broccoli) they are always understaffed and sometimes with fewer checkouts
staffed than Lidl. Asda are light years ahead with the till staffing and
somehow understand that a customer quickly and efficiently processed through the
checkout will make the shop and the carpark less crowded.

JS here has a huge store. If the staffed till at this end has a queue,
the one at the other end might not have. But it is so far away, it is
perfectly possible for several other people to join it as you walk along
the row of checkouts. Wish they would open adjacent, or near adjacent,
checkouts.

JS cause much annoyance by have a till open for people who use their
self-scan, sitting there doing absolutely nothing, while there are
queues at every other till.

JS also manage to be the absolute worst offenders in the "till conveyor
divider" stakes. Many tills only having one. Which you can't reach
because other people are in the way and no-one thinks to pass one back
to you. Most of them don't have enough. Again, Lidl is at the top of the
pile - enough to fill the channel they slide in on every till. (A few
sometimes get knocked into the special offers by the till, but even then
there are more than anywhere else.)

JS manages the poorest range of apples. Often hardly any available
despite the best part of a greengrocery aisle dedicated to them. Agree
their veg is nothing special.

Asda do also actively help people to get to the best till - a bit
US-style and somewhat patronising - but it is better than JS.

Not surprisingly, JS have gone from being our main supermarket to
somewhere we get a few things only they sell. Ironically almost entirely
since they opened their huge new store.

--
Rod