Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default For you math wizards

On 4/15/13 7:01 PM, Phil Kangas wrote:
Put two nails 5' apart in a piece of ply. Put
another nail 2" above the
line formed by the first two. Take a batten,
bend it between the nails and
draw the arc.

The potential flaws I see in that method are...
...you might get a peak/angle in the curve at
the center nail
...you can't always count on getting equal
bending at every point along the length of a
piece of wood.

I know it's a standard method to use a long,
flexible piece and
something to mark out a curve so I'm certain it
works. I would just want
to double check and practice a few times to make
sure the bendable thing
was bending equally.
-MIKE-

Perhaps the curve could be checked by flipping the
layout
stick end for end?

Good advice.

--