Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg Guarino[_2_] Greg Guarino[_2_] is offline

Default For you math wizards

On 4/15/2013 3:26 PM, Bill wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:
On 4/15/2013 11:38 AM, Leon wrote:
On 4/15/2013 10:14 AM, Gramp's shop wrote:
I need to draw an arc for a piece of trim. The end points of the arc
are 5 feet apart and the depth of the arc at the center point is 2
inches. What is the radius of the circle?

There ought to be an equation for this that would be far superior to
trial and error, oui?

Larry

R=226" according to Sketchup.

Trigonometry concurs.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...ream/lightbox/

Thanks to the O.P. for a pleasant lunchtime puzzle.

Greg, We both drew the same picture. How much math background do you
have (if you don't mind me asking)?

Bill

Nothing too advanced. Algebra, geometry and trig in high school, a
little calculus in college. That would all have been in the '70s.