Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nightjar Nightjar is offline

Default OT-ish B&Q automated checkout

On 15/04/2013 19:02, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 17:54:28 +0100, Nightjar wrote:

On 15/04/2013 15:24, Jethro_uk wrote: ...
I had this kinda "candid camera" idea, of calling up the managing
agents for the mall, and enquiring about vacant units, as I am
launching a new kind of store ... a combined discount shoe, card and
mobile phone shop.

One of the vacant units has a sign up now ... "Coming soon: Rachels
cupcakes and cafe".

Why is there this recent obsession with cupcakes?

It's next door to a Druckers

I presume that Druckers is in competition with a cupcake shop and cafe.
I've never heard of them.

Druckers is a chain of "pattisseries" ... tries to convey a more upmarket
vibe

You have to wonder who pitched *that* business plan.

Either somebody thinks there is business enough for two, or thinks they
can put the other out of business.

Well given a fight between a multi store chain, and a local independent,
where would *your* money be ? Especially as there's a Costa, Cafe Nero,
Esquires, Muffin Break, and a coffee house whose name I can't recall
within 50 m.

I would not necessarily bet against the independent, but the independent
would have to have a good USP, plenty of experience of business and,
probably, not be in catering.

We have lost a good baker to
competition from Greggs (who stopped offering the things they had
undercut after the baker had gone) and a locally run pizza shop to
competition from Dominoes.

I wouldn't call Greggs a bakers - they are a pie and pasty shop with an
extremely limited range of unfilled baguettes and rolls.

That is rather my point. It is what we have now. When they arrived, they
offered a wide range of cakes, morning goods and bread, all of which
disappeared from their shelves after the bakers closed down.

Colin Bignell