Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Digging fence post holes - auger or "post hole digger"?

In article ,
unknown writes:
Previously I've just used a spade to dig-out holes for concrete spurs
but I'm tempted by either an auger or a "post hole digger" ... which
works best?
These are available from several places; the SF ones get good reviews
but look a bit expensive compared to the others ... is the extra cost
justified?

One comment I would make - make sure the holes have flat bottoms
with good square corners where the base meets the side. Many years
ago, I dug a couple of holes for a neighbour, and I did as I said
here. The holes he dug were shaped like someone had pushed a football
into the soil. A year later in a strong wind, all his concrete lumps
rotated in their holes leaving his bit of the fence leaning (none of
the posts snapped), and the ones I did were still upright.

--
Andrew Gabriel