Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum polygonum is offline

Default OT-ish B&Q automated checkout

On 15/04/2013 14:56, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 14:40:34 +0100, polygonum wrote:

On 15/04/2013 14:17, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 16:22:13 +0100, Dave W wrote:

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 17:13:44 +0100, Nightjar
wrote:

Obviously good Trade Unionists, who realise that if they use the
self-service tills they are stealing the jobs of other people.

Colin Bignell

If I'm expected to do the cashiers work for them, I would expect some
sort of discount.

The stores argument would be the "discount" is delivered as a cost
saving on the goods.

That could make sense - but if you go to a manned till, they are not
making that saving in order to increase their profits, sorry, reduce
prices.

True.

There's also the delicate - probably highly confidential - issue of
shrinkage via the unmanned tills. It would be illuminating to know what
level of theft management considered acceptable when implementing the
self-service system.

If you can save £x by losing some staff, and the loss from theft is a
lower figure ...

One of the reasons I dislike the automatic ones is that responsibility
for mistakes lands on customer. And when you are rushing to get things
scanned, etc., and hating the experience, I feel it is far more likely I
would inadvertently walk out with something not scanned.

--
Rod