Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] Searcher7@mail.con2.com is offline

Default Help: Hougen Magnetic Drill Problem

On Friday, April 12, 2013 8:35:04 AM UTC-4, Michael Terrell wrote:
wrote:

I have a Hougen Magnetic Drill that is not working.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...pse1f7add1.jpg

The Magnet itself seems to work, but the drill portion doesn't. Not counting when it turned on a couple of times two days ago, making me think that there was a possible intermittent break somewhere in the connections.

I opened it up and tinkered with the safety switch adjustment screw, but that wasn't the problem.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...psf865d83a.jpg

The safety switch is located on the bottom of the drill. The bottom of the drill must be flat against the metal surface in order for the drill to power on. (See the two buttons at the bottom):

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...ps3e32a032.jpg

The third button in the center is I believe also a safety switch that will cut power to the motor if the drill's magnetic base drifts as much as 1/2".

I assumed that there is nothing wrong with the AC cord because the magnet portion works, so using my Fluke 79III multimeter on the Ohm setting I tested the start and the stop buttons. There was activity on the Multimeter's display screen when I press either, so I assume that there is no break, at least as far as where those leads connect to the circuit board.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...ps3495c450.jpg

Would it be plausible to re-flow the solder on the circuit board in case there is a cold solder joint somewhere?

I can't travel several hours round trip to spend $65 an hour at an authorized repair location, so any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Darren Harris

Staten Island, New York.

Have you asked on news:rec.crafts.metalworking where there are a

number of people who own these tools?

Yes. And I didn't receive a single response, which is why I posted here. :-)

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.