Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum polygonum is offline

Default Digging fence post holes - auger or "post hole digger"?

On 14/04/2013 20:43, newshound wrote:
On 13/04/2013 19:57, Onetap wrote:
On Saturday, April 13, 2013 2:59:56 PM UTC+1, unknown wrote:

I used a post-hole auger west of London and it was great. The soil was
clay and it was like drilling holes in plasticine.

I borrowed it again and used it in Essex; utter waste of time. The
soil was sandy and gravelly, the auger wouldn't drill and the holes
collapsed. I found a long trenching spade to be easier.

+1. Auger is normally OK except in very sandy gravelly soils.

Precisely how do you use an auger through a layer of clay with many
massive embedded flints? Your exception clause is woefully inadequate, I
fear.

--
Rod