Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RogerN RogerN is offline

Default How to charge battery for electric 12v winch, without tripping fuses

"Ignoramus17560" wrote in message

Is there anything of the sort, that I can purchase off-the-shelf?

I do realize that I can just wire a resistor in series, and I do have
a 1.4 ohm, 290 watt resistor and some others, but I was hoping for
something more elegant.

Thanks

In the radio control model stuff they have battery chargers that are ran off
of 12VDC.

This charger runs from 12V DC and can charge LiPo, NiMh, NiCd, and Lead Acid
batteries, it limits the charge current to 5A so it shouldn't blow the fuses
from charge power.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dyc-1004.html

Another idea would be to use an inverter to power a 120VAC battery charger.

You might be able to find some kind of constant current regulator with low
drop-out but I'm guessing that may not be much of an "off the shelf"
solution.

RogerN