Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shop lighting

wrote:
I wouldn't like these to be my sole source of light in a shop. LEDs I
can see getting at some time, but the little curly bulbs do fine with
enough size and wattage.

And in a shop, I can't even imagine how ticked off I would be if I
didn't know that and I was doing staining/coloring/finishing in my
shop with that heavy dose of chromatic blue instead of something in a
more normal color range. Imagine finishing something in your
brilliantly lit shop with the hot white bulbs and then putting that
piece into a more warmly lit environment. *ouch*

I don't know what the temperature ratings were on these bulbs, but I did see
some LED cans at Home Depot that were remarkably like a standard
incandescent bulb. They threw off a really strong beam of light, and were a
color like what we are used to. When they first came out they were around
$50 each, and within a year they had come down almost 50%. I remember
looking into one from almost completely across the store, and wincing
because of how bright the light was when I looked directly into it. This
particular one was mounted on a piece of plywood, and pointed so that you
looked directly into the can when you walked up to it.

You are right though - color rendition is key. Lots of room for surprises
when using lighting that is out of balance.

--

-Mike-