Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hrhofmann@sbcglobal.net is offline

Default Mixed voltages in a conduit

On Apr 13, 11:09*am, wrote:
On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 10:48:07 -0600, bud--
wrote:

On 4/12/2013 10:10 PM, wrote:
The difference is a raceway terminates at both ends in a box or
enclosure. A duct is usually open at both ends.
There are actually ways to run a line voltage and a low voltage
"cable" in the same conduit/raceway but they must be split out and
terminate in different enclosures.

If *the OP is running "class 2" wiring (as used for doorbells,
thermostats,...) the wires can be run together if
"Either (a) all the ...power... conductors or (b) all of the Class 2 ...
circuit conductors are in a racway, ... or Type UF cables." (725.136-I-1).

The OP is not specific what "low voltage lines" are, or how many. If
class 2, running either the power or the class 2 as UF cable would work.
If you run one of them in a raceway I would suggest plastic ENT instead
of Greenfield.

If it is going to be inspected, I would run the plan past the inspector.

I agree about asking the inspector. The code says cable jackets are
separation but the rub usually comes in when you terminate the cables.
If you can split them out of the raceway system into separate
enclosures before you crack into the jacket, it is legal but a lot of
inspectors will still fail it. I have seen this done with "T" body
condulets on both ends.
Usually it is simply easier to run separate conduits.- Hide quoted text -

Seems like the easiest solution is to run a 14 gauge cable in the same
tube/pipe/raceway/conduit as the power cable, then you can do anything
you want with the extra cable, whatever the local codes require/