Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Digging fence post holes - auger or "post hole digger"?

On 13/04/2013 14:59, unknown wrote:
Previously I've just used a spade to dig-out holes for concrete spurs
but I'm tempted by either an auger or a "post hole digger" ... which
works best?

No experience of a auger. Post hole diggers work a treat.

These are available from several places; the SF ones get good reviews
but look a bit expensive compared to the others ... is the extra cost
justified?

Got mine from Wickes years ago.

Supplementary: how much postcrete am I likely to need when setting a
75x75 spur into a 600x150'ish round hole? (I know I could do some sums
but in this case I think benefitting from experience is going to give a
better estimate)

I reckon a bag a hole max.