Nick Brooks

Default Stickers on doow window

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
troubleinstore wrote:

"N. Thornton" wrote in message
om...

Jerry Built wrote in message

.. .

SueDelete wrote:

Does anyone know an easy way to get stickers off glass that have
been there for years please? tried white spirit and nail varnish
remover!

White spirit/meths mentioned. Was your nail varnish remover
acetone? If not, try some. Cellulose thinners (from hardware
shops in small quantities) gets off many things. A window
scraper (metal, uses razor blade inserts, from hardware
shops) is helpful, also useful in general for window
decorating. I suppose a hammer and bolster chisel is OTT?

Paraffin also gets some things off that nothing else touches, not even
lighter fluid.

Regards, NT

I have mentioned a few times on this group that I use Isoprpanol which
you
can get from the chemist. Just tell them that you need it for cleaning
purposes.
If you have a small bottle of CD cleaner that normally comes with the CD
cleaning kits, this is also Isopropanol.
I use it all the time for removing all manner of things.
--
troubleinstore
http://www.tuppencechange.co.uk

---

Try everything except whichever acid it is that etches glass. Ah
Hydrofluoric.

You have choices.

- Isopropanol - thats basically 'keyboard and screen cleaner' 'car
washer additive'
- ethanol - basically methylated spirits and alcopops.
- methanol. Not sure if that is sold anywhere 'as is' retail, but model
aircraft glo fuel is about 70% methanol.
- Nitromethane. Hard to get. 'raw' but CA debonder contains it usually
as does glo fuel (above).
- white spirits turpentines and paint thinners- easily available generic
class of 'soft' solvents.
- petrol
- paraffin, diesel and kerosene type olefins.
- acetone - Often nail varnish remover.
- cellulose thinners. Various types.
- Nitromors. Highly agressive on most organic materials. No idea whats
in it, but it stings like hell.
- phosphorc acid. Mostly ant-rust treatments for steel etc.
- caustic soda.
- Hydrochloric acid (spirit of salts/patio cleaner/brick acid)

Combinations of some or all of these will destroy/dissolve just about
anything, and all are safe on glass.

Places to get these chemicals are
- builders merchants
- good hardware stores
- chemists
- car accesory shops
- model shops.

IMHO all enthustisatic D-I-Y'ers should have a working knowledge of
basic chemistry.

An excellent list of solvents to which I'd add Orange Solvent
(frequently used by dentists) and sold as "Sticky Stuff Remover"