Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Sanding rounded parts

On 4/12/2013 6:26 PM, gary wrote:
I'm refinishing an old-style TV cabinet.

I've stripped off the original polyurethane and stain from the cabinet.

What's the best way to remove the stain from the inside corners and from the round moldings around the base and on the front which also has rounded spindles?

I use steel wool, usually about medium, to scrub off the final
application of stripper, and then again with a final wash of mineral
spirits (depends on type of stripper being used. Unwind a pad of steel
wool, and (depending on size of spindles) separate it into "ribbons".
Then just pull the ribbon of s.w. back and forth around the spindle. If
it has fine ridges, use tooth pick, tooth brush, wood skewer, or
whatever to get out the final grunge. I don't use metal tools with
strippers because the stripper softens the wood and don't want to make
dents.

When I have to hold onto the s.w. to scrub by hand, I use a sandwich bag
as a glove. Latex gloves break down pretty fast with m.s.