Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Macy[_2_] Robert Macy[_2_] is offline

Default Experiment removing brown toilet bowl stains with various acids

On Apr 11, 5:22*pm, "Danny D." wrote:
On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 14:42:54 -0700 Oren wrote:

See my comment to you in the other thread. Much of that stain is slime
coming from the bowl passage and rim jets... *BTDT (pool acid

The most dangerous is the pool acid, so, I'll do that last.

Here's what I just did:
1. I shut the water supply off and flushed the toilet
2. I plunged & cupped & toweled out the remaining water
3. As a control, I blocked half the toilet with a bath towel
3. Naval Jelly (because it's sticky) went on first
* *http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12667774.jpg

This is my sister's kid's bathroom, so, while I was there,
I decided to apply the excess naval jelly to the yucky sink:
*http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12667775.jpg

I'll wait a half hour - and then wash it off, and report back.

PS: How her kids make 'that' much mess of a sink just brushing
* * their teeth is beyond me!

THANKS FOR BRINGING THIS QUESTION UP!!

We have HARD well water and on a septic system. Based on comments
here, purchased muriatic acid at HD for around $5/gal ! We had one
wing of our home unused and all the water evaporated out of traps and
toilet bowls in that section. Hard as a rock brown crusty coating on
bowl. Turned on fan, held breath, and poured small amount of acid [??
1/2 cup] into the reduced water content bowl. WOW! foam and everything
just slid off. Used a plastic brush and scrubbed around completely
cleaning the bowl out.

Foaming continued for a while, but fumes weren't bad.

Neutralized with baking soda, now THAT foamed and foamed and foamed.
Used about 1/6 of the box! before foaming stopped when adding powder.
Now it's clean! Thanks again.

So armed with that I attacked 'my' toilet bowl [note one way to stay
married a long time is to ALWAYS have separate bathrooms] This bowl
only had slight brownish streaks in the bottom. But foamed up again.
Then while scrubbing out found what looked like two four inch long
angle brackets made of brownish calcium deposits. Obviiously up out of
sight from all previous cleanings. These were thick and glad whatever
that is is out of there. Again thanks for the thread.

That evening, I had severe nose bleeding. I'll bet the fumes took
their toll and I just did not notice. So, when people say avoid the
fumes, AVOID THE FUMES!