Posted to alt.home.repair
Danny D.[_8_] Danny D.[_8_] is offline

Default Experiment removing brown toilet bowl stains with various acids

On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 21:59:22 -0700 Oren wrote:

We did not go so far as to say empty the tank of water. Hopefully
nothing is damaged by acid on the metal tank parts.

Ooops. I must have missed that step in the instructions.
Can you actually empty the bowl without emptying the tank?

Anyway, the deed is done.

After an hour of hissing and bubbling, I sprinkled the antidote:
http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...0/12668463.jpg

Of course, that initiated a new round of hissing and bubbling:

After flushing a few times, I poured in the 12% pool bleach:

Now the bowl is "almost" clean of the brown "cooties":

My sister wants to know why I still left a little bit ...
Rust 1, naval jelly 0
Rust 1, muriatic acid 10