Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Experiment removing brown toilet bowl stains with various acids

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 00:22:09 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 14:42:54 -0700 Oren wrote:

See my comment to you in the other thread. Much of that stain is slime
coming from the bowl passage and rim jets... BTDT (pool acid

The most dangerous is the pool acid, so, I'll do that last.

The ball is in your court. Take as much time and expense as you need.

Here's what I just did:
1. I shut the water supply off and flushed the toilet
2. I plunged & cupped & toweled out the remaining water

Sacrificial turkey baster to remove water below the bottom throat jet
in the bowl bottom. Add pool acid above that jet. Good. Use the pool
acid to clean it to dissolve minerals for a better flush.

3. As a control, I blocked half the toilet with a bath towel

.... bean counters. I provided a link (other thread) to be done in
short order.
..
3. Naval Jelly (because it's sticky) went on first

Until you use muriatic acid in the bowl passage / jets, minerals and
slime will still cause stains in the bowl and come back sooner.
Minerals in the passage build up and prevent a good flow of water in
the jets.

What looks red like rust is cooties and not rust. Unless you have
heavy iron in the water.

This is my sister's kid's bathroom, so, while I was there,
I decided to apply the excess naval jelly to the yucky sink:

I'll wait a half hour - and then wash it off, and report back.

IMHO a poor use of Loctite naval jelly.

PS: How her kids make 'that' much mess of a sink just brushing
their teeth is beyond me!

Somebody created a monster? grin

The link again, skip to - Muriatic Acid Method.

http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Slow-Toilet

Neutralize with baking soda on septic systems and iron sewer drain
pipes before you flush.

Bowl passage jets are often "tear drop" shape. This creates the
vortex in the bowl for a better flush, when cleared of minerals and
cooties. The bottom jet starts the siphon action on flushing.