Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred fred is offline

Default OTish switching energy supplier - timing....

In article
, Jim
K writes
On Apr 11, 12:51*am, fred wrote:
In article
, Jim
K writesMy fixed deal ends in 6 weeks.
It has an early exit fee.

How do I arrange for my chosen new supplier to take over as close to
the end date of the old deal without invoking the old deal's exit fee?

The current supplier should have spelled it out to you in an end of
fixed rate notice.

they told me the date it ends - that's it.

They lied, if you notify them of your intention to switch before the end
date of your deal then it continues until your switch is complete.

The trick is to notify them of your intent to change supplier just
before the fixed rate ends then you have 20 working days (hmmn, or is it
10?) to get your new supplier to contact the old one and the switch
takes place as normal.

uswitch says it takes 4-6 weeks to complete the change?

Yes, and for those 4-6 weeks you will benefit from receiving your old
fixed rate. The 10 (or 20) day limit is for the new provider to initiate
the switch with the old one following your notice of change.

Provided you notify the old supplier before the end of the deal and meet
the above terms then they have to hold the price at your old rate until
the switch takes place, quite handy if you're were on a sweet rate.

These terms were set out by the regulator to ensure that the customer
doesn't get stiffed in these circumstances.

"terms" ??

Just what I have repeated above, they have to continue your deal until
the switch is complete provided you meet the conditions I have stated.

This is based on experience of 2 switches I have carried out following
the end of fixed rate deals.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .