Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 303 protectant smell

Stanley Schaefer wrote:
On Apr 9, 3:12?pm, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Does anybody know what the smell in 303 aerospace protectant is?

it reminds me of the distinct smell of a wooden pencil.

The other question would be what is the strong smell in some pencils?

Pencils used to be made of solid cedar. Some cheapies are made of
wood(or paper) dust and glue, your smell could come from either one.
If it's a chemical smell, it's probably from the glue.

Never heard of 303 aerospace protectant, who makes it? You could look

303products.com (trashy website, but some swear by the stuff)

It's supposed to be a rubber and plastic UV protectant and moisturizer of
sorts without silicones. I hate how silicone stuff creeps and makes
everything shiny.

I've used it on rubber stuff that tends to dryrot, but never noticed the
smell before, until I got it all over myself.

up the safety sheet online and see what's in it. Probably has some
form of wax and a solvent plus some secret sauce for anti-rust. Your

MSDS is just "proprietary". The smell is faint, and the stuff look appears
as a slightly milky fluid.

smell could come from any of those. I know that LPS 2 smells like the
Alox that's in bullet lube, Deep Creep has the same smell. Alox was
first an anti-corrosion goop that was used in the oil fields. So
probably a relative.

I did finally get some LPS-2, had to mail order it from a hardware store
in NY to get some in Chicago. I don't like its smell, it reminds me of
WD-40, and seeing that or smelling it usually means somebody did or is
about to do something stupid.