Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RogerN RogerN is offline

Default Made a "Forklift Scale" for the working poor

On 2013-04-10, wrote:
On Apr 9, 10:58?pm, Ignoramus26995 ignoramus26...@NOSPAM.
26995.invalid wrote:

2. I figured out how to deal with errors caused by friction. It is
very simple. I just need to take two readings, one after creeping the
load up, and the other after creeping the load down. The average
cancels friction out. Problem solved.

So how much difference is there between creeping up and down?
Inquiring minds want to know.

Friction depends on a lot of factors, such as load, how far the load
is on the forks, weather (hot or cold) etc.

With a small weight of 2800 lbs, it was about 200 PSI difference.

When I lifted a forklift that weighed 12,000 lbs, it was more like 400
PSI.

You probably already thought of this but you will need to subtract out for
the pressure to lift the forks empty, maybe paint a weight on containers you
might re-use for a scrap bin.

RogerN