Posted to alt.home.repair
DD_BobK DD_BobK is offline

Default Threading Wood

On Apr 10, 5:36*am, Pavel314 wrote:
This is a general question, not for a specific application. It popped into my head while working on a minor home remodeling project last night. Has anyone had occasion to cut threads into a wooden hole using a tap?

It seems like a good hardwood, like oak or maple, would take the threading better than pine. If you don't torque the bolt down too tightly, or remove and reinstall it too frequently, it shouldn't wear out the threads for a long time. Or you could use a Teflon bolt. Or a wooden one, if there is such a thing.

Do you think that a bolt in a threaded hole would last longer than a screw which is removed and reinstalled infrequently?

Paul

Threads in a piece of wood that are sized to accept wooden threads
have to be much larger and coarser than metal or plastic threads.
Threading wood to convention machine screw dimensions is hardly worth
the extra work.. machine screw threads are WAY too fine for wood.

Wood is much less homogeneous (grain & directionality) than metal or
plastic and needs larger / coarser threads to overcome these issues.
The smallest wooden threads I've seen are around 1/2" ...maybe 3/8"

http://www.woodcraft.com/category/20...ding-kits.aspx

The typical way to create removable / resusable threads in wood is to
use metal or plastic thread inserts.
They have external coarse threads to interface with the wood &
internal machine screw threads.

http://www.woodcraft.com/category/20...d-inserts.aspx

Each type of thread works with the intended material.