Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Storkamp Mark Storkamp is offline

Default Threading Wood

In article ,
Pavel314 wrote:

This is a general question, not for a specific application. It popped into my
head while working on a minor home remodeling project last night. Has anyone
had occasion to cut threads into a wooden hole using a tap?

It seems like a good hardwood, like oak or maple, would take the threading
better than pine. If you don't torque the bolt down too tightly, or remove
and reinstall it too frequently, it shouldn't wear out the threads for a long
time. Or you could use a Teflon bolt. Or a wooden one, if there is such a
thing.

Do you think that a bolt in a threaded hole would last longer than a screw
which is removed and reinstalled infrequently?

Paul

On the PBS show Woodright's Shop I saw Roy make a woodworking vise that
had a threaded hole and shaft both made of wood. I'm pretty sure it
wasn't the usual Unified National thread form, but was probably an Acme
or hose coupling style thread. The diameter would have to be fairly
large to get the teeth deep enough to not strip out too easily. My first
choice would be to install some kind of threaded insert into the wood.
If for some reason that wouldn't work, I might try using a helicoil.