Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_5_] TomR[_5_] is offline

Default Wiring code -- across attic floor joists

"EXT" wrote in message
b.com...

wrote in message
On Tue, 9 Apr 2013 20:30:04 -0400, "TomR" wrote:

I need to add a couple of electrical circuits that will run across the
floor
joists of an attic. The attic is accessible, but it has a low ceiling
height, so the attic is not (and never will be) a usable living space.
There is no floor in the attic space -- just the open joists which are
the
ceiling joists for the rooms below.

Since the new circuits will be running across (perpendicular to) the open
joists, is it okay to just run a nailing board across the top of the
joists
and staple the new wiring on top of the nailing board? That would be a
lot
easier to do than drilling through the joists and running the wires
through
the drilled holes.

Is the nailing board approach okay according to the NEC requirements?

Right idea but you staple the wire to the side of the running board.
Then you are not walking/crawling on it and if you do put some decking
up there, it is not sitting on the wire.

OR if the destination of the wire allows it, run them on the underside of
the rafters so you won't tread on the cables if and when you have work to
do up there.

That's a possible option, and I'll keep that in mind depending on where the
circuits are running.