Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Hot room in house

On Tue, 09 Apr 2013 20:44:01 +0000, Chuck
wrote:

replying to richard.beech, Chuck wrote:

richard.beech wrote:

I have one room in my house, a southeast facing room, that gets damn
hot...the rest of the house can be 72 degrees and this room will still
be in the 80s with a ceiling fan going full blast (i live in Houston,

Ceiling fans will blow the air around, but if anything, they add a
little heat to the room. Motion is equivalent to heat.

In the summer time, they take the hot air that rose towards the
ceiling, and they blow it down to where the people are. If the people
are perspiring, the evaporating sweat will make them feel cooler, but
other than that, fans don't cool anything.

That said, all I use for comfort in the summer is table fans, one in
each room.

Texas)...the room is also over the garage....it has one window that
faces south and is double paned and one door that is double paned that
faces east to an outside porch...i am thinking about having extra
insulation injected into the walls
my questions to this great group are
1) do you think the extra insulation in the walls will help
2) what is the deal with reflective insulation and should i consider
adding that to the mix
3) are there any suggestions in general to get this room more in line
with the rest of the house and keep it cool...it is my office and i
have to move into the kitchen in the summer!
thanks

I have a very similar problem with one hot room in my house. It also faces
southeast, upstairs and shares a wall with the attic over the garage.

Am curious. Did the additional return vent solve your problem?