Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default New project and need more electrical help

On Apr 9, 8:57*am, "
wrote:
On Apr 9, 8:48*am, wrote:

On Tuesday, April 9, 2013 7:13:36 AM UTC-5, wrote:
My daughter is becomming a teenager and her and her mother fight over the mirror in the bathroom. My intention is to make two mirror frames out of red oak, stained to match the cabinet. (Currently there is one vanity mirror glued to the wall.)There is an electrical outlet on this wall beside the current mirror that will be covered up when using two mirrors. I need to move this outlet to a side wall. (Actually I want to add two more outlets, one on each side wall.)

The outlet that will be covered is in a chain to the other outlets in this bathroom as well as the other bathroom.

I have a crawlspace underneath this room but I think the wiring to the outlets is within the wall itself.

My first thought is to t off the existing outlet. However, as we discussed before, junction boxes have to be "acccessible". A permanently made mirror screwed to the wall may not be. At any rate for the mirror to be flat the box would have to be inside the wall, so not sure if that is legal or would work.

How would you do this?

It is already on a 20 amp circuit and is gfi protected throught the outlet.

Well that made it easier. *The remaining difficulty will be
to route the wire, which needs to be 12 gauge. * Your
option are probably to either knock holes in the drywall or
else go down to the crawlspace and then back up at the
new locations.

One other question I have, how would you mount the mirror to the wall where it looks nice but is also sturdy? I bought some rail and stile bits and was thinking of using these to place the mirror in the "frame". However, how do I mount the mirror to the wall correctly? I have parents that had a custom mirror made with their cabinets. It looks as if they screwed through the frame to the wall and then covered the recessed screw head with wood putty stained to look like the surrounding wood. (However you can always tell it is not exactly the same as the surrounding wood.- Hide quoted text -

Why can't you make it so it hangs like any other mirror
would, using a wire behind it? *That would seem easiest
to me. *I have several mirrors over sinks and that is how
they are hung. * Another option is a French cleat. *It's
two strips of metal that interlock. *One gets joined to the
back of the mirror, the other the wall. *But they are typically
used hang art and stuff that is heavier than is suitable for
the typical wire hanger.

i have seen mirrors with electric outlets in them, it appeared fine