Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default Machining Question

Richard wrote:
On 4/8/2013 11:19 PM, Steve W. wrote:
Could you machine one out of a stainless steel block?

Already been done. There are a few companies that already sell stainless
lowers.

I did one out of 416 just to see what it took. It will be the only one I
ever do as well. It machined very well but even when I thinned areas
down to reduce weight it's still pretty hefty. Does make the .308 a lot
nicer to shoot though. I have been tossing around the idea of making one
out of steel though. Thinking of areas like the sides of the mag well
for skeletonizing...

Anyone with a mid sized mill can handle the job. If you buy some guides
you can even use a good drill press!

What does that do to the weight???

Adds about 8 oz. to the bare lower compared to a "normal" lower.

--
Steve W.