Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.arts.tv,alt.atheism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.politics
xyzzy xyzzy is offline

Default STUFF IN TOILETS

On Apr 8, 9:03*pm, GrtArtiste wrote:
On 04/08/2013 08:50 PM, Kicking Ass and Taking Names wrote:

On Mon, 8 Apr 2013 16:09:25 -0700 (PDT), Robert
wrote:

On Apr 8, 3:46 pm, GrtArtiste wrote:

Anything that isn't going to naturally decompose shouldn't go into the
toilet, IMHO. This is especially true if you have a septic tank instead
of a sewer. Feel free to disagree.

GrtArtiste

That is ABSOLUTELY correct..... *I have dealt with both rural and
urban septic systems. *If a line is connected to the city, *you can
get away with a lot since it is the city that has to come out and
clear the line in case of a backup.
* *However, septic systems in rural areas that use septic tanks
are very sensitive to solid matter. *If it can't be forced through a
1/16 inch hole in the drain fiels (for certain systems) it will be a
big big problem that may result in the entire drainfield having to
be replaced eventually.
* * The biggest offender is grease, which never dissolves and
eventually starts to clog up the drainfield. *I've seen massive
blobbs of grease that had to be cleaned from a septic tank,
which ,normally should be pumped out every 8-10 years to clear
out the sludge, but it depends on the type of septic field used.

* In short, if you put the solid matter in a jar of water, and shake
it
up, and it doesn't dissolve into almost nothingness, it shouldn't be
put in the toilet.

* * *In fact, special toilet paper is made for certain septic systems,
especially those used in RVs......

* * *... and, while we are at it, use garbage disposals at your own
risk..... it doesn't chop the scraps up fine enough to pass thru the
tiny holes.......

* * It's a complex subject, which most people never learn about until
they have a massive, expensive problem.

Here in the Chesapeake Bay watershed, we are required to pump our
septic tanks every five years. *In fact, I gotta call tomorrow about
pumping mine.

I am in NW OH and have lived here since 1996. With 1 exception (4 yrs)
we have pumped our 1500 gal septic tank every 3 years. Is that too much?
Don't know...but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I have a tool (sludge judge) that measures the level of solids in my
tank. In 13 years its never had to be pumped.