Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default Margaret Thatcher RIP;!...

On 08/04/2013 13:24, Tim Watts wrote:
On Monday 08 April 2013 13:05 tony sayer wrote in uk.d-i-y:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22067155

Had more balls than any PM since.

I hate the tories, labour and liberal parties with similar amounts of
loathing, but that does not mean I don't respect her. I liked some of her
policies and hated others, but she did have conviction unlike most of the
wobbling gutless corn stalks we have now...

I liked the idea of the poll tax.
It would have been OK if the councils hadn't been allowed to put up
their spending until it was established.
Or local council increased the bills by ~25% with various claims that it
was going to be expensive to collect, they wouldn't get more than 80% of
it, etc. They didn't reduce it when the poll tax was scrapped or when
they were collecting 97% of it.

The best bit was that even people on benefits had to pay some so if they
wanted more spending they could vote for it but would have to
contribute. Unlike now where they can vote for high spending knowing it
will come from other peoples pockets.

The benefits were increased by enough to cover the average payments.
They were not reduced when poll tax was scrapped, maybe its time they
recovered the extra?