Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.arts.tv,alt.atheism,rec.sport.football.college,alt.politics
% % is offline

Default STUFF IN TOILETS

Robert wrote:
On Apr 8, 3:46 pm, GrtArtiste wrote:

Anything that isn't going to naturally decompose shouldn't go into
the toilet, IMHO. This is especially true if you have a septic tank
instead of a sewer. Feel free to disagree.

GrtArtiste

That is ABSOLUTELY correct..... I have dealt with both rural and
urban septic systems. If a line is connected to the city, you can
get away with a lot since it is the city that has to come out and
clear the line in case of a backup.
However, septic systems in rural areas that use septic tanks
are very sensitive to solid matter. If it can't be forced through a
1/16 inch hole in the drain fiels (for certain systems) it will be a
big big problem that may result in the entire drainfield having to
be replaced eventually.
The biggest offender is grease, which never dissolves and
eventually starts to clog up the drainfield. I've seen massive
blobbs of grease that had to be cleaned from a septic tank,
which ,normally should be pumped out every 8-10 years to clear
out the sludge, but it depends on the type of septic field used.

In short, if you put the solid matter in a jar of water, and shake
it
up, and it doesn't dissolve into almost nothingness, it shouldn't be
put in the toilet.

In fact, special toilet paper is made for certain septic systems,
especially those used in RVs......

... and, while we are at it, use garbage disposals at your own
risk..... it doesn't chop the scraps up fine enough to pass thru the
tiny holes.......

It's a complex subject, which most people never learn about until
they have a massive, expensive problem.

i have an outhouse , yay