Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Know Studio 40.ND Television Character Generator chroma issues

"William R. Walsh" wrote:

Do you have ny video test equipment?

I have a working color bar generator that I've fed into the unit. (I've
found that it's just barely possible to get stable and correct color with
the bars by tweaking the trimmer in the color oscillator circuit of the
character generator.)

'Color bar generator' is a vague description. Some don't produce a
good subcarrier, since they are used for TV repair. Old TV shop grade
video gear is almost worthless. There is a lot of working, broadcast
equipment on Ebay for pennies on the dollar. I recently picked up
waveform monitor & vectorscope for $20 (Tektronix 1730 & 1720) and a
video test generator for for $25 (Tektronix TSG-170A) I bought an
Ikegami 9" color studio monitor for $20 a few months ago. All of it in
better shape than what I used at the last TV station I worked at as an
engineer. Now I need a bunch of quality, new 75 Ohm BNC video cables.

As far as a vectorscope goes, no, I don't have one. It was brought to my
attention elsewhere that I could use a VirtualDub plugin and video capture
card to provide a vectorscope in software. I'm not sure if I'd understand
how to use it. Nor do I know if it would be accurate (enough).

I really don't see how that would help. You have no way to test or
calibrate the video board without the proper equipment.

I may try a new crystal and make the effort to replace electrolyic
capacitors at some point in the future. Right now I've set it aside as I'm
tired of fiddling with it and have no pressing need for it to work.

William