Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

Default GE Microwave JVM1540DM3WW Everything but Heat

On 4/4/2013 2:06 PM, wrote:
Everything operates correctly, except no heat. I can hear a transformer hum, come and go while it acts like it is working, like it is trying to run, but nothing heats. I understand electrical systems and have read considerable about troubleshooting and repair. I just wanted to ask before undertaking this task. Based on the circumstances with the on and off hum, what do you think?

Thank you ...Ken

**Commonly, the fault is that the magnetron has failed. HOWEVER, as PA
mentioned, inexperienced people should NEVER attempt to repair a
microwave oven. Even after switching off, sufficient energy may be
stored in the main filter cap to kill a human. When powered up, the
danger is further magnified. 2,000 Volts at 0.5 Amp will easily kill.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au