Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lathe questions

On Mon, 8 Apr 2013 12:39:33 -0700 (PDT), Stanley Schaefer
wrote:

On Apr 6, 4:21Â*am, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Wed, 3 Apr 2013 12:32:38 -0700 (PDT), Stanley Schaefer

wrote:
On Apr 2, 3:11Â*pm, Gunner Asch wrote:
I got an email from a pistol smith buddy of mine who is looking for a
very small lathe..something with a footprint under 3 feet:

"Hi buddy.
Can you give me your opinion please.
Are these junk, or usable for me?
Can I turn 1.5" on them?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350747008678

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250978927093

Or is something this better for me?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111027293774

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251243228471"

Ive had zero experience with the little ones so dont have a clue as to
suitibility of any of them.

Anyone have any comments?

Ive been trying to find him a decent small South Bend or similar with
little luck. Â*He has very tight quarters and only works on pistols

Gunner

Little Machine Shop now turns out a product-improved version of those
Sieg lathes that HF and Griz has sold for many years. Â*They're 7x
whatever, usually 10-12". Â*The beds are more like a large lathe, the
headstock takes #3 Morse taper, tailstock is #2, so more like a big
machine made small. Â*I've turned 6" cast iron rounds for faceplates,
mounting flanges and chuck mounts on the HF I have. Â*Took some very
sharp HSS tools to do, but it worked. Â*These are about the largest
lathes that can be slung onto a shelf. Â*LMS has had a "stretch" bed
kit for the HF lathes that extends to like 24". Â*Has the longer bed, a
longer lead screw, longer tray, a splash plate, a few fasteners and
instructions. Â*I've run mine off a hefty inverter and a 12 v battery,
so backwoods operation is possible. Â*Stick it on top of a Workmate and
turn anywhere. Â*These are miles better as far as stiffness than the
old Atlas 6" or AA-Sears jobbies. Â*Not as cheap as they once were, got
mine for under $200 on sale with a 50% off coupon.

Stan

Got a link Stan? I could only find parts.

Gunner- Hide quoted text -

Under "Machines" on the site:
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...ory=1271799306
Looks like they think a lot of their product-improved version,
although you could probably spend a bunch of time(and cash) upgrading
to about the same level on an HF or Grizzly. Would be the one I'd buy
if I wanted one known to be good to run out of the crate and could
afford it. I didn't have any initial problems with my cheapy HF, many
have, although most are fixable. Those are more of a parts kit that
may(or may not) need some help. Aren't nearly discounted to what they
were, either. If there's an HF store nearby, get it there, it can
always be exchanged if it's a dud. And LMS has a raft of aftermarket
tooling for those, not stuck with what HF deigns to carry.

Stan

Thanks!

Ive forwarded this one to my guy

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...y=127179930 6