Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default The fixed nut is broken on my Columbian c i vise. What is bestway to repair

On Apr 8, 2:55*pm, " wrote:
On Apr 8, 4:28*pm, Stanley Schaefer wrote:

For repair, get a new vise. *Or maybe used. *Not much can be done TO
repair one, at least so it'll hold. *If you try to braze it, it'll
just make the surrounding cast iron brittle and it'll crack. *Somebody
with a fully equipped shop could probably turn up a steel nut and
figure out how to fasten it in there so it wouldn't spin, come out or
break the rest of the casting, that wouldn't be me... *By the time you
finish dinking around with it, you'll have the cost of another vise in
the time spent. *Need a boat anchor, you've got it.

Stan

I do not know that all Columbian vises are the same, but I am pretty
sure mine has a nut which is not part of the main casting. *So if the
nut on my vise was broken, I could take out the remains of the nut and
machine a new nut out of some reasonably good steel and fasten it in
the main casting. *I would *have a good look. *I have a number of
vises, but the Columbian is the one I like best.

Dan

Live a little. You have plenty of time not that Ed has you in his kill
file. Buy a forged vise.