Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default The fixed nut is broken on my Columbian c i vise. What is bestway to repair

On Apr 8, 1:28*pm, Stanley Schaefer wrote:
On Apr 8, 2:18*pm, John M

wrote:
The fixed cast iron nut on the screw drive of my Columbian cast iron vise has
broken off & is lost now....What is the best repair?

--
posted fromhttp://www.polytechforum.com/metalworking/the-fixed-nut-is-broken-on-...
using *PolytechForum's *Web, RSS and Social Media Interface to

For repair, get a new vise. *Or maybe used. *Not much can be done TO
repair one, at least so it'll hold. *If you try to braze it, it'll
just make the surrounding cast iron brittle and it'll crack. *Somebody
with a fully equipped shop could probably turn up a steel nut and
figure out how to fasten it in there so it wouldn't spin, come out or
break the rest of the casting, that wouldn't be me... *By the time you
finish dinking around with it, you'll have the cost of another vise in
the time spent. *Need a boat anchor, you've got it.

Stan

If you can get the steel for free and you have time to waste here is
an alternative:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os0i63ZuaE4

Needless to say I'd do it quite differently but the video serves a
purpose. I have nothing but respect for this young man.