Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Remove brown toilet stains/deposits

Danny D. wrote:
On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 11:59:51 -0400 Roanin wrote:

I bought some Polident Denture Cleaner fizzies.

Looking up what the chemical is from the MSDS:
http://www.msds-gsk.com/consumer/12697006.pdf

20% Citric acid (CAS 77-92-9)
11% Sodium carbonate (CAS 497-19-18)
4.3% Potassium peroxy monosulfate (CAS 10058-23-8)
10% Sodium perborate monohydrate (CAS 10332-33-9)
54.7% Non hazardous stuff

I'm not a chemist - but my quick initial assessment is that the peroxy
compound is an oxidizer (like bleach) and the perborate is perhaps a
water softener.

I suspect the citric acid and sodium carbonate are so that the thing
fizzes, which may aid in mechanical removal of deposits, since
dentures are soft so you don't want to scrub them too hard.

Citric acid is useful for reduction of iron oxide (rust) to a soluble form;
sodium carbonate is used in descaling (lime removal) but I have no idea what
it does here.

--

dadiOH