Posted to alt.home.repair
Danny D.[_8_] Danny D.[_8_] is offline

Default Remove brown toilet stains/deposits

On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 11:59:51 -0400 Roanin wrote:

I bought some Polident Denture Cleaner fizzies.

Looking up what the chemical is from the MSDS:
http://www.msds-gsk.com/consumer/12697006.pdf

20% Citric acid (CAS 77-92-9)
11% Sodium carbonate (CAS 497-19-18)
4.3% Potassium peroxy monosulfate (CAS 10058-23-8)
10% Sodium perborate monohydrate (CAS 10332-33-9)
54.7% Non hazardous stuff

I'm not a chemist - but my quick initial assessment is that the peroxy
compound is an oxidizer (like bleach) and the perborate is perhaps a
water softener.

I suspect the citric acid and sodium carbonate are so that the thing
fizzes, which may aid in mechanical removal of deposits, since dentures
are soft so you don't want to scrub them too hard.

Googling for what the other stuff is, I find this FAQ:
http://www.mypolicare.com/Polident_FAQ.aspx#faq28

28. How does Polident 3 Minute MicroClean Formula work?
Polident® 3 Minute MicroClean is specially formulated to dissolve quickly
so that the cleaning and freshening agents can get to work right away.
Formula kills 99.9% of odor-causing bacteria
Bleaching agents help restore dentures to their original whiteness
Detergents help penetrate deposits and lift them away
Peppermint and spearmint oils & menthol leave your dentures feeling fresh
Formula kills other microorganisms when used for five minutes.

In summary, I'd be surprised if it works on toilet bowls, where scrubbing
won't even work - but please do try it and report back (with a picture!)
so that I can figure out whether it will work for my application!
http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...0/12641055.jpg