Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Confusion on wood restoration methods

The chairs are somewhat collectible. They're mid-century modern, which

is hot right now, and they're labled DUX, which is pretty well known.

That's why I wanted to do a really good job on them.

Wow, those were probably worth a lot of money when they had the original finish. Don't you ever watch antiques roadshow? Nice old chair $100. Nice old chair with original finish $10,000.

I do know that "professional" restores start with a waterless cleaning. Believe it or not, it is very common for them to use goop or other waterless hand cleaner (not the abrasive type like zep). It really is one of the best ways to clean off all the years of grime with no grain raising or other water damage. Then, regarding the finish, a "restorer" would try to repair damaged or worn areas and almost do a faux finish with authentic materials to blend in any fixes. I learned much of what I know of finishing from a master in this area. When he was done, I could never tell where his work stopped and the original finish started.