Posted to rec.woodworking
Spalted Walt Spalted Walt is offline

Default Unisaw arbor bearing replacement

On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 07:51:49 -0700, Pat Barber wrote:

On 4/6/2013 6:40 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
Has anyone replaced arbor bearings on a Unisaw? If so, did you do it without
removing the table top, or did you remove it first?

Any input?

Using a "very" straight edge, make a long line on the top of the
saw with the straight edge on both sides of the blade. Makes putting
the top back on much easier.

Removing the bearing with out removing the top is silly to
even attempt.

So you're saying Jesper Gronvaldt is full of crap in his detailed description of
how to do it without removing the top,

http://www.woodcentral.com/bparticle...bearings.shtml

along with others that have done it quite successfully?

Here is a complete restoration method detailed in pictures:

http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org/How...%20Unisaw.ashx

A complete restoration is not needed on my Unisaw. It looks and runs as if it
were manufactured a year ago (although it's 12 yrs old) and has relatively few
hours on it. I merely noticed the distinct sound of dry clicking bearings while
spinning the blade with the belts removed. From what I've read Delta is
notorious for using low quality Chinese bearings and charging $25 bucks for the
same poor quality replacements.

for your bearing, go to:

http://www.owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=93322

and then order from: http://www.accuratebearing.com/

You need to order from Lynne using the correct numbers.

Sorry, Lynne lost a sale. I expect them to arrive today or tomorrow, USPS
priority mail. Oh, and the correct number/size is 6203. At $5.55 a piece with
free shipping, I doubt Lynne could have beat the price on 6203-2NSE Nachi
bearings anyway.