Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default Cell phone app for IR Remote control code capture?

On 4/8/2013 12:51 AM, William R. Walsh wrote:
I remember at least one application for Windows CE Pocket and Palm-size PCs
that could output IR codes (or learn new ones) via the IR hardware that most
of those things had. I've not seen anything like that for a Smartphone.

Most phone and digital cameras have an IR filter built in to prevent IR from
interfering with normal picture taking. In some digital cameras, you can
remove this filter. I'm not sure if this is possible for the much smaller
cameras used in phones. I also don't know if the camera's frame rate is
sufficient to capture an IR bitstream.

William

I'd guess that if the phone can send IR, it can also receive it.
I don't have anything newer than a Trio 850 4G phone that can.
So, if your device can't resend the codes, might as well capture
them on a device that can send them.

As for the questions you did ask ;-)
The typical IR remote is plenty strong to get thru the IR filter
in a typical digital camera. All you gota do to verify that is to
monitor the camera and poke a remote at it.

I expect that the camera frame rate is way to slow to capture the timing.
But that isn't to say that there might be some clever way for a driver
to synchronize it for the purpose. I think you'd have better luck
accessing the IR port.

I saved a bunch of stuff from 2000, but all the links seem to be broken.
Only thing left is a program that claims to turn a HP95lx into a learning
remote.

I have some interpreted basic code that can capture signals from
the IR port on a Palm. Used it to read the smart utility meter.
Probably way to slow to work to decode a remote.