Posted to rec.woodworking
Spalted Walt Spalted Walt is offline

Default Unisaw arbor bearing replacement

On Sun, 7 Apr 2013 21:07:09 -0700, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:

I got paid real money to design ball bearing systems back in the days
when I worked in the engineering department or a rotating equipment
manufacturer.

What part of ball bearing design and application would you like to
discuss?

Lets discuss the part where I ASSUMED it was common knowledge that the proper
way to press a bearing on a shaft was to apply pressure to the inner race ONLY.
Never the seal and never the outer race.

-- parts diagram posted in alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

What I failed to mention was (for the sake of brevity) is the bearing puller,
when flipped over, is flat (not concave) on the back side.

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/c...mage_21569.jpg

I am planning to use this FLAT side of the puller to push Item #143 (steel
spacer) which will be butted up against ONLY the inner race of the bearing Item
#142.

You obviously ASSUMED I would be removing the entire arbor assembly ("You are
going to take the arbor and bearings to the arbor press") when in fact I'm
probably going to remove the shaft only, for a number of reasons.