Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Made a "Forklift Scale" for the working poor

On 2013-04-08, Brian Lawson wrote:
On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 13:11:38 -0700, Paul Drahn

On 2013-04-07, wrote:
On Apr 7, 10:06?am, Ignoramus32392ignoramus32...@NOSPAM.
32392.invalid wrote:

BIG SNIP
My forklift is a double section unit. I know there is a name for that,
but don't remember it. Once the fork carriage gets to the top of it's
track, a second section begins to go up. If you machine is like that,
your weight will only be correct when using the lower section.

Paul

Hey Paul,

Yeah, but for "weighing" purposes, it will only be when "picking" the
load and not when the mast is reaching extension..

Brian Lawson

Brian, it is actually both, as sometimes we need to lift something
from the top with a chain, it happens often. I will just have two
tables (or one table in two columns).

Now you need to replace the gauge with a pressure sensor, some encoders
to monitor mast height and a microcontroller that will display the load
weight, lift height and mast clearance height along with programmable
alarms so you can set the doorway/ceiling headroom and get alarms when
you are about to hit the ceiling with the mast while you are busy
watching the load...