Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default GE Microwave JVM1540DM3WW Everything but Heat

amdx wrote:
On 4/5/2013 3:16 PM, William Sommerwerck wrote:
I'd love to see what a large wedge would do to a modern
microwave oven, other than go right though the entire thing,
like a cup of to-go soup when the lids comes loose and it
instantly dissolves the paper bag you were holding seconds
earlier.

I have a near-end-of-American-manufacture LItton that's built like a
tank. Haven't used it in a few years, but it'll still be working when
I'm dead. Only problem is that the cavity's on the small side.

I have a working Frigidaire microwave that was manufactured in 1983.
The specs say 1.38 KW 120V 60HZ, a little odd, now it would be amps not
KW. Don't know about the output power, nothing on the unit, and the
owners manual says nothing about the power. The model number is MC800M,
I would think 800W is to low for the output power. But, I'm curious what
is the efficiency of a magnetron?
Mikek

Mine has a spec sheet indicating input power of 1.25kW and 14.5A and
output power of 70 to 700W in 10 steps, or 56% efficient as a whole. I'd
hope new ones are slightly better than this. This thing also has a listed
weight of 80 pounds which is without question, accurate. The manufacture
date is June, 1981. It's possible the 700W is optimistic, but at least
more honest than the numbers you see on vacuum cleaners, like 6
horsepower.

PS. The owners manual says " If you move or sell the microwave to
another person please report the change so we can update our records.
Hope I'm not in trouble, I've moved 5 times without reporting. :-)

Mine mentions not to put the temperature probe into frozen food as
breakage can occur, and that you should not dry clothing or wet newspapers
with it.

When did they start to plastic bag newspapers?