Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Unisaw arbor bearing replacement

"Spalted Walt" wrote:

Actually I won't. I'll be using a bearing separator/puller to remove
the bearing
nearest the blade and I believe I can use it to slide the new
bearing home as
well.

You could care less how you remove the old bearings.

The bearing puller shown is basic, but it also is all that is
needed to remove the old bearings.

Attempting to use the tool (bearing puller) to install the
new bearings is pure folly.

You will probably get the new bearings installed, but you are
almost guaranteed to brinnel the new bearings in the process
thus rendering them useless.

An arbor press exists for a reason.

Lew

I've had a set of these for about 5 yrs, used the small one once,
the neighbor
has used them a couple of times. They work great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R25zsdW8Ewo

Here's a photo of a Unisaw arbor shaft with the bearing in place:
http://web.archive.org/liveweb/http:...om/arbor_2.gif

Also, I WILL NOT be changing mine out in the manner this guy did
either ;-)
http://lumberjocks.com/Bothus/blog/11219

always nice to learn from other's mistakes...