Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roots in the Sewer Follow-On Question

On 4/7/2013 1:22 PM, Doug wrote:
On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 13:58:43 -0400, mcp6453 wrote:

Rather than hijack the prior thread, I'll start a new one. The three toilets in
my home seem to be a little sluggish when they flush. Because of the layout of
the property, I don't think there is a problem with roots in the sewer line to
the street, but that could be wrong. Should I get a plumber to snake a camera
down the line to look for roots? If not, what should I do first?

Our local gas utility just sent a post card invitation for us to pay them $4 per
month for sewer line insurance. Maybe I should buy that insurance before I do
anything.

Recently I had a tenant complain of the toilets and shower being
sluggish. To make the story short, they got a plumber to snake out
the house cleanout. Apparently they were using too much toilet paper.
Since the plumber came, all is well.

I had a drunk roommate flush handfuls of flushable moist wipes don our
toilet and a plumber that the house owner hired found quite a clog in
the line below the toilet. The moist towelettes can be safely flushed
one or two at a time but armloads don't go down so well. I once
extracted a plastic toy from a toilet that was overflowing on a regular
basis. The toy belonged to the resident 4 year old. ^_^

TDD