Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] generic@internet.com is offline

Default Smelly Water

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 14:18:19 -0400, mcp6453 wrote:

On 4/7/2013 9:57 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 08:28:16 -0400, mcp6453 wrote:

Our home water is from our municipality. There are three bathrooms. The plumbing
in the house is about 10 years old, and it is all copper.

In the upstairs bathroom, two or three times per week, when the bathroom faucet
is turned on, the water smells. It's hard to describe the smell, but it's there.
It goes away pretty quickly. The problem only started in the last six months or so.

I have not observed the problem at any other sink, including ones that are
closer to the incoming supply line under the house. The bathroom is used
multiple times per day.

What could the problem be? Should the water be tested? While we rarely drink
from that faucet, we do use the water to wash hands and brush teeth.

Hot water or cold? Only that bathroom? I see someone suggested in
could be the drain. Yes, that is possible as water hits the drain it
will send back a burst of air.

The other factor is the water heater. If the anode is corroding, you
get a nasty sulfur type of odor for a few minutes. If that is the
case, replace the anode with a different material.
http://www.watertechonline.com/artic...ng-rid-of-odor

I'm not sure, Ed. Normally when I turn on the water, I turn on hot and cold
equally. The water heater is a 40 gallon low boy electric. Since it's over 10
years old, I've been considering replacing it anyway.

Tomorrow only turn on the hot or the cold. NOT both at the same time.
That's how you trouble shoot things. Process of elimination......
Assuming that bathroom has a toilet, could the fill valve be siphoning
water back into the system? One way to check for that is to shut off
the supply valve under the toilet as soon as you flush the toilet.
Leave it shut off all the time except when you flush. Then see if you
still got stinky water. Again, process of elimination .....