Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default MDF tongue/groove wainscoting....nails AND glue?

Norminn wrote:
On 4/6/2013 11:52 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Norminn wrote:
I'm planning on putting in wainscoting in dining area, now that I've
removed the dang wallpaper. I have choice of cutting 4x8 panels or
using tongue and groove panels that are about 7" wide each.
Instructions I've seen are to use construction adhesive and finish
nails. I don't have a power nailer and don't want to buy the gear,
so I'm thinking just adhesive might do. I don't know how much the
nailing would add to the secureness if it is just nailed into
drywall.

Come now, Norminn...you know perfectly well there are studs behind
that drywall.

Of course I do. But studs are, what, 16"? One version of wainscoting
comes in 7" t/g panels....so I hit the studs with some and that's
enough to hold the rest (with adhesive)?

Would that I could definitively say "yay" or "nay" but the best I can do is
say "I think so".

You will be able to nail anywhere at the bottom and there will be a chair
rail or some other type of cap that can also be nailed so you should have no
problem holding it in place; any problem would arise from the hump in the
drywall joints and laying a long straight edge over the areas where you are
going to out it should give you a pretty good idea of the flatness.

My only experience with 1/4" paneling was in my office. I had modular
Danish shelf and cabinet units along one wall. They hung from brackets
which attached to vertical walnut uprights spaced about 32" apart. I wanted
to fill in between the uprights with walnut ply and did so. The ply was
attached only with 1" brads toe nailed into the drywall; no particular
spacing, at the corners and anywhere else where the ply wanted to curl a
bit. It looked fine and lasted without problems for the 16 years I had that
office.

--

dadiOH