andrewpreece

Default Exterior wiring

"Ian" wrote in message
m...
Hi

I'd like to install a couple of outside lights on the side of our house
- nothing fancy, just a couple of those bulkhead lights or something to
light up what is currently at night a pitch black path from the back door
to the dustbin. I would like to minimise internal disruption when wiring
these up which basically means running most of the wiring externally,
clipped to the outside wall. It's just the side of the house so I'm
not bothered about the aesthetics.

I've done plenty of basic internal electrics - adding new lights & sockets
etc. - so I know how to do this in principle, but I'd like some advice
on materials & regulations for this particular job.

The questions that spring to mind a

- Type of cable to use? Presumably weather-resistant, able to withstand a
range of temperatures, maybe armoured as liable to get knocked on odd
occasions?

- Best sort of fixings to use?

- Any regulations regarding positioning of cable runs?

- How to weatherproof the holes where the cable enters the house/necessity
to do so?

- I am assuming I can wire this into one of my existing lighting circuits?

- Any other issues I have not considered?

Any advice gratefully accepted.

Thanks.

Ian

Just my point of view, but can I make a plea for you not to use bulkhead
lights? They shine light everywhere, up into the sky, and into people's
windows. Not a problem for you, but unwanted light from a neighbour
can be nearly as annoying as unwanted noise.
My suggestion is that you consider the snazzy looking full-cut-off
light and integrated PIR fixtures you can get at the DIY places now.
You can get 75W, 150W and I think 300W lamps and the lamp and PIR
sensors are independently moveable. You won't need 500W with a fixture
of this type as the light goes precisely where you want it. They retail at
about £10 - £13. I've seen 'em at Homebase and B&Q.

regards,

Andy.