Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default MDF tongue/groove wainscoting....nails AND glue?

On 4/6/2013 5:33 PM, TomR wrote:
Norminn wrote:
On 4/6/2013 2:52 PM, Home Guy wrote:
dpb wrote:

The article in question...

A Simple Approach to Raised-Panel Wainscot
Stock molding and MDF panels transform a room

From Fine Homebuilding 165
pp. 82-87 September 1, 2004

If don't have local access via library, don't even think about not
getting it via the paid link if you intend to do this project.

http://www.gifford-park-assoc.org/ra...ainscoting.pdf

No, these aren't separate components....just mdf in either 4x8' sheet
or in tongue and groove sections. Both are about 1/4" thick. Chair
rail at the top, re-install baseboard.

If you are putting a chair rail at the top and re-installing the baseboard
at the bottom, then couldn't you just nail the chair rail and baseboard at
16-inch on-center spacing into the existing studs? Wouldn't that hold
everything in place and flat against the wall?

You're asking me? That's what I'm here to find out ;o) Sounds good,
but my logic fails now and then. I did get my pond pump fired up today,
so there is progress here. I'm pretty sure I will go with the 4x8'
panels, have them cut at the store...bought a little jig saw y'day for
the trimming. A guy at Lowe's told me I'd need to put up firring
strips...scared me. Walls are nice and flat, so that isn't a problem.
Yet. )