Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default MDF tongue/groove wainscoting....nails AND glue?

On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 15:37:08 -0400, Norminn
wrote:

On 4/6/2013 3:28 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 13:53:41 -0400, Norminn
wrote:

Come now, Norminn...you know perfectly well there are studs behind that
drywall.

Of course I do. But studs are, what, 16"? One version of wainscoting
comes in 7" t/g panels....so I hit the studs with some and that's enough
to hold the rest (with adhesive)?

Without an air nailer, there are hand staplers that use 5/8" brad
nails. If you are putting a chair rail on top of the wains, nail at
16" OC. I was thinking to use contact cement for the panels, a few
brads in the drywall. Just nail where trim would cover the nail holes?

Sounds good, but I'd hate to end up having it wavy if not secured all
along the whole wall....it'll be more permanent than me )

You could use a long level (straight edge) to check the wall for
waviness. Know where to compensate. True, not all walls are equal :-\