Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.legal
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Do "roots in the sewer in the past" require disclosure?

On Sat, 6 Apr 2013 11:08:51 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

On Apr 6, 9:42*am, "
wrote:
On Apr 5, 4:41*pm, Oren wrote:

On Fri, 5 Apr 2013 13:21:04 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

On Apr 5, 3:42 pm, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 05 Apr 2013 13:54:20 -0500, deadrat wrote:
Some people have a problem providing too much disclosure.

This is another ding, ding DING moment folks.

The other side of that is not telling enough and getting sued even
if you win the lawsuit it will cost big bucks and lots of
stress.......

Tell what you know, Bob. Tell what your local laws require. Don't
shout *from every roof top every single abstract detail. Dang! *It
really is easy if your hair is not on fire. I do not live under threat
of being sued, by anybody, ever, period.

I did once get sued for brutality by a Nigerian Prince. There was
nothing brutal about his ass-kickin'.

neither of which are good for anyone.

Sigh

Bob seems to think that anyone threatening a lawsuit is worse
than the grim reaper and that anyone actually filing a suit against
you
is the end of the world. * And on that basis, if you're going to sell
a house, you must fix everything and anything that a potential
buyer might object to or one day sue you over.

So, you could pay to fix 10 things that cost $10K each on
the chance that one day they could result in a buyer coming
back to you demanding payment for something. * And that
something might still not be on the list of things you did fix.
And I think we're on the same page, that if that person comes
back and says, it cost me $12K to put in a new sewer, you
could just pay it then;. *Or offer to pay $8K of it, etc. *Yeah, I
guess there is the pathological case, where the sewer clogs
up, the dummies living there continue to flush the toilet,
filling the basement up with 7 feet of sewage, grandma opens the
basement door, falls in and drowns, the house develops mold
and is condemned, but it doesn't sound like the more common
outcome to me. *The more common thing would be they have
a problem, they fix it, they shell out the money, then try to recover
what it actually cost to fix from you, the seller.

And again I'll issue the disclaimer that I'm not saying that
you should not disclose the sewer issue. *I'm just saying that
living in fear of some mega lawsuit doesn't make sense to me.
It's going to be mighty hard to turn a blocked sewer line into some
huge lawsuit. * The plaintiff has to prove actual damages, ie what
they really spent to fix it. *They can't just show up in court
saying pay me $100K. *He also thinks lawyers take these cases
on a contigency basis and I doubt that is true for the typical
sewer clogged up case.

well if you had a choice would you like to be sued? and even if you
win theres still lawyers fees.... they can amount to thousands...

.... some body nudge him. Bob is stuck on being sued..

all easily prevented by disclosure... hey the sewer has backed up a
few times roto rooter cleared them

Did the law require you to disclose a sewer back up?

now I live in pittsburgha very hilly area with freeze thaw cycles that
make the ground move, two old friends do backhoe work, they report
lines deeper around here to minimize earth movement and breaking
lines.. Its very common to see a dig around here with those heavy
steel plates supported by heavy steel rods holding them apart, to keep
ditches from collapsing.

True

my neighborhood water line is 6 foot deep, its broken a few times and
it gets fixed... my dads water line in phoenix is just a foot deep at
best.,.

it all depends on where you live

We get it.